Wednesday 25 June 2014

BOOK REVIEW // Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

As I'm a very keen book reader I've been wanting to do  book reviews for a little while now. I read so many amazing books and rarely have the chance to share them so I came to the conclusion that I'd use my little corner of the internet to do so.


I've just finished reading Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. I'm a little late to the party with this one I know, but I got there eventually when I finally purchased this thriller on Amazon after hearing so many amazing things about it. Although I read this quite sporadically, whenever I got the chance to read it I couldn't put it down and that to me is a sign of a good book. I've never really got on with thriller novels before as I've read some very disappointing ones in the past, but Gone Girl has completely changed my opinion on them. I'll try my very hardest not to reveal any spoilers but this book has so many twists and turns that you're pretty much always left guessing what's going to happen in the next chapter, and you're usually wrong. As my mum has read this book before a common conversazione between us two was "tell me what happens next" and "please tell me this happens", but I so glad that she kept quiet because you wouldn't want to have the events of this book spoiled for you. To give you a brief plot Gone Girl is about a woman, Amy, who disappears on her fifth wedding anniversary and her husband, Nick, finds himself as the main suspect. Because this book has two narrators your allegiance with either Nick or Amy can change very quickly. I really can't tell you any more than that without giving anything away! The only thing I didn't like about this book was that after all the exciting plot twists throughout the book I was a little bit disappointed with the anticlimactic ending, if you've read Gone Girl you'll probably understand. However it's a great book for summer that will leave you wanting to carry on reading until you've finished because you'll want to know the outcome of the characters and plot!

On the whole I would definitely recommend this book and would rate it 4.5/5 (-0.5 for the ending).

Did you enjoy this review and please let me know whether you'd like to see more? What books have you read recently?

- Millie xx

2 comments:

  1. I adore Gone Girl! Have you read her other books? Gone Girl is by far the best but Sharp Objects is amazing too :)

    Elesaurus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the best books I've read in a long time, I'd gladly read anything Gillian Flynn has written! Thank you so much for your comment!
      - Millie xx

      Delete